News Stories

SSHRC Insight Grant
May 06, 2014

I am delighted to inform you that Stephen Petrina (PI) and Franc Feng (Collaborator) have been awarded a SSHRC Insight Grant of $371,406 over the next five years for a study entitled: How we Learn Media & Technologies: Design & Engineering Cognition. Please join me in congratulating Stephen and Franc on this magnificent achievement. Best, Peter Peter […]
More

CACS Dissertation Award
May 05, 2014

I am most pleased to inform you that the dissertation of one of our recent graduates, Hannah Spector, (co-supervised by Bill Pinar and Anne Phelan) has been awarded the Canadian Association for Curriculum Studies (CACS) Dissertation Award. Hannah will travel to the CSSE meetings at Brock University later this month to receive the award at […]
More

2013-2014 Killam Graduate Teaching Assistant Award
Apr 17, 2014

Please join us in extending our warmest congratulations to Ashley Welsh for receiving the Killam Graduate Teaching Assistant Award for 2013-2014. This award is designed to recognize the outstanding contributions of an exceptional Teaching Assistant teaching and learning at UBC. With over 2000 Teaching Assistants working at UBC, winning this award is a remarkable achievement. […]
More

Congratulations to Ashley Welsh for receiving SERG Award
Apr 15, 2014

Congratulations to Ashley Welsh for receiving the CSSE Science Education Research Group (SERG) Award for 2014. She has been selected as one of two recipients for the graduate student paper award for 2014. Her paper is entitled: Investigating Undergraduate Students’ Metacognitive Transformations for Enhanced Science Learning. Well done Ashley! Dr. Samson Madera Nashon Professor (Science […]
More

Successful Completion of Thesis
Mar 19, 2014

Please join me in congratulating the following students for defending their PhD dissertations and being recommended to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral studies for the PhD degree: Shannon D.M. Moore:  Producing Pedagogy: Exploring Masculinities, Femininities and Sexualities in/through Visual Digital Media  – Dissertation Supervisor: Dr. Lisa Loutzenheiser Mirela Gutica: Designing Educational Games and Advanced […]
More

36th UBC Physics Olympics
Mar 11, 2014

On March 8th, more than 400 students and 50 physics teachers from all over BC came to UBC to take part in 36th UBC Physics Olympics. 55 teams participated in the event with the teams ranged from 4 to 25 students. The teams came from all over BC – Terrace, Prince George, Penticton, Mission, Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island.
More

Equity, Governance, Economics and Critical University Studies (New Issue of Workplace)
Feb 18, 2014

Colleagues, I am pleased to inform you of the announcement by Stephen Petrina and Wayne Ross of a new issue of the journal that they (with Sandra Mathison of ECPS) edit, Workplace: A Journal for Academic Labor. This issue, entitled Equity, Governance, Economics and Critical University Studies, No 23 (2014), marks a couple of milestones […]
More

Murray Elliott Service Award 2013
Nov 27, 2013

Dr. Linda Farr Darling is the 2013 recipient of the Murray Elliott Service Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Teacher Education Program.
More

Successful Completion of Thesis
Nov 07, 2013

Please join me in celebrating two recent successful thesis defences in the Department’s Mathematics Education program. Myron Medina (supervisor, Susan Gerofsky) completed an M.A. Degree, successfully defending the thesis Exploring students’ mathematical sense-making through non-routine problems; visualization, gesture, and affect, and Ozlem Deniz (supervisor, Susan Gerofsky) completed an M.A. Degree, successfully defending the thesis Mathematics […]
More

The new BC Draft Social Studies curriculum
Nov 05, 2013

Please join me in congratulating Peter Seixas whose work in the Historical Thinking Project has been used to frame the new Social Studies concept-based school curriculum.
More

media-filter_icon_50

News Stories Filters

faculty students graduates sessional staff conferences events
appointments awards & achievements grants in the media promotion publications scholarships