News Stories

Congratulations to Don Krug and David Anderson
Mar 28, 2013

Colleagues, I’m please to inform you that two of our faculty members have recently been in the media. Don Krug appeared March 15 on CTV National news talking about responsible social media  http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=885046&playlistId=1.1196592&binId=1.811536&playlistPageNum=1  and David Anderson gave an interview on February 20 about the Master’s in Museum Education program to Canada’s History (Beaver) magazine http://www.canadashistory.ca/Education/Working-History/Articles/Podcast-UBC-Master-s-in-Museum-Education. It’s very […]
More

Anita Prest: Advancement to Candidacy

Colleagues, Please join me in congratulating Anita Prest on two counts: First, she has successfully defended her Ph.D. dissertation proposal for the members of her doctoral committee (Dr. Scott Goble, supervisor, Dr. Linda Farr Darling, and Dr. Marie McCarthy) on March 28, 2013, having previously passed her comprehensive examinations in July 2012, and now advanced to candidacy. […]
More

35th UBC Physics Olympics
Mar 14, 2013

Colleagues, Last Saturday, Marina Milner-Bolotin and Samson Nashon helped host and organize the 35th UBC Physics Olympics. More than 400 students and teachers participated in the event with 56 teams from all over BC. This was one of the highest numbers of teams over the years. Once again it was a collaborative effort between the Department […]
More

Hannah Spector, Assistant Professor!

Colleagues, It is with great delight that I inform you that Hannah Spector has been appointed as Assistant Professor of Curriculum and Instruction at Penn State University (Harrisburg campus). She has yet to defend her doctoral dissertation but we will not let that dampen our joy at her having been offered her first tenure-track professorial […]
More

Aboriginal Math Symposium
Mar 07, 2013

Colleagues, With the support of EDCP, the Office of Indigenous Education, and the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences, Cynthia Nicol recently organized a very successful Aboriginal Mathematics Symposium at the UBC Longhouse. Over 150 people attended (teachers, academics, Ministry people, administrators, graduate students and teacher education students) from across the province including Bella Bella, Haida Gwaii, […]
More

Congratulations to Marina Milner-Bolotin and Team!
Feb 25, 2013

Dear  Colleagues, Please join me in congratulating Dr. Marina Milner-Bolotin (EDCP) as Principal Applicant and  Dr. Cynthia Nicol (EDCP), Heather Fisher (EDCP Graduate Student) and Alexandra MacDonald  (EDCP Graduate Student) as team members for their successful 2013-2014 TLEF of $55, 227. Project Title: Turning Teacher-Candidates to Inquiry: Improving Preparation of Future K-12 Teachers in Mathematics and Science through […]
More

Congratulations to Susan Gerofsky and Team!

Dear  Colleagues, Please join me in congratulating Dr. Susan Gerofsky (EDCP) as Principal Applicant and  Dr. Jolie Mayer-Smith (EDCP), Dr. Andrew Riseman (LFS), Julia Ostertag (EDCP Graduate Student), Chessa Adsit-Morris (EDCP Graduate Student) and Kate Petrusa  (EDCP Graduate Student) as team members for their successful 2013-2014 TLEF of $62, 551. Project Title: Learning to teach in an outdoor […]
More

Recent Successes
Feb 19, 2013

Colleagues, Recently, in January, EDCP had two successes that have gone unacknowledged. First, on January 8, 2013, Marina Milner-Bolotin was awarded a certificate of recognition for her stellar contributions to the American Association of Physics Teachers. Congratulations Marina! Second, Alayne Armstrong successfully defended her PhD dissertation on January 16, 2013. Hearty congratulations, Alayne, on this […]
More

CIHR Success for Tracy Friedel
Feb 18, 2013

Colleagues, It is with great delight I announce the tremendous CIHR grant successes of Tracy Friedel. Absolutely magnificent news! Principal Applicant:  Tracy Friedel, EDCP Miyonohk âyâwin kiskinwahamâtowin (a many sided thing): Outdoor education, injury prevention and Edmonton’s First Nation, Métis and Inuit youth. First Nation, Métis and Inuit youth suffer four times as many unintentional […]
More

Recognition of Dr. William Pinar and Dr. William Doll
Jan 25, 2013

Colleagues, It is with great pleasure that I inform you of an important recognition ceremony that is to take place at Louisiana State University in May, 2013. The work of Bill Pinar and Bill Doll will be honored on May 9 with a symposium on the Internationalization of Curriculum. The next day, May 10, there […]
More

media-filter_icon_50

News Stories Filters

faculty students graduates sessional staff conferences events
appointments awards & achievements grants in the media promotion publications scholarships